See photos (3)

PRIEURÉ DE SAINT-LÉZER

Historic site and monument, Listed or registered (CNMHS), Church in Saint-Lézer
Free
  • Free or guided tours of the Priory the first weekend of each month.

  • The priory takes place on what is originally a pagan space (religious cult to local and Roman gods). A "small" monastery was built there at the end of the 6th century before being destroyed for the first time by the Arabs in the 8th century and then the Normans in 841.

    The existence of the monastery was again highlighted in the 10th century and then restored in the XI century. In 1064 it was a Cluniac foundation which invested the place thanks to the Count of Bigorre who was the donor. Then...
    The priory takes place on what is originally a pagan space (religious cult to local and Roman gods). A "small" monastery was built there at the end of the 6th century before being destroyed for the first time by the Arabs in the 8th century and then the Normans in 841.

    The existence of the monastery was again highlighted in the 10th century and then restored in the XI century. In 1064 it was a Cluniac foundation which invested the place thanks to the Count of Bigorre who was the donor. Then comes the time of a new priory and a monastic life until the French Revolution of 1789.

    The priory is made up of the parish church, dedicated to Saint-Lézer as well as the old monastic rooms. Inside, you will still find the wooden stalls reserved for the clergy, a 19th century painting in honor of Saint-Licerius, a Pyrenean saint from the 5th century, the location of what were once the monks' cells ( dormitories), but also many other archaeological remains from the Castrum Bigorra of Saint-Lézer. The Coquerel room allows you to learn more about the excavations of the Wall carried out by the Archaeological Architect Christian Darles.
Services
  • Equipment
    • Car park
  • Services
    • Free visit on request
    • Guided visits (groups only)
    • Guided visits
    • Educational visits
  • Rates
  • Free
Openings
  • From February 1, 2022
    until September 4, 2022
  • Saturday
    2:00 PM - 6:00 PM
  • Sunday
    2:00 PM - 6:00 PM